Food Pro's Popular Posts

Friday, March 18, 2011

Top Chef: All Stars - Conference Call with Tiffany Derry




Top Chef: All Stars - Conference Call with Tiffany Derry


Tiffany Derry made it close to the finale this season on Top Chef: All Stars but not close enough. On this week's episode, she was eliminated in the Bahamas after the judges felt that her soup was not hot enough and a little too sweet. This late in the game, any little thing can send you home, as Tiffany unfortunately found out. Today, she spoke to RealityWanted and reports in a press conference call about being an all star, who she's rooting for to win, and her new restaurant.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: You mentioned on last night's episode that you have never worked for a big name chef. Were you ever intimidated by the resumes of your fellow competitors?
A. Tiffany: I had never let it get too far. When I was a little younger, I wanted to [work with a big name chef] but I just kinda never really got the opportunity to. I would've had to move somewhere and I had so many other things going on. It wasn't feasible. But yeah! I definitely saw a little bit of that and I was like, "Woah! James Beard award winners!"

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: There were a lot of surprising eliminations this season. Which one shocked you the most?
A. Tiffany: Jen Carroll would have to be the one. The rumor was that she would never be sent home. When that happened, I was like, "They are not playin!"

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: How did you feel about the level of challenges this season in comparison to your season?
A. Tiffany: As much as I love season 7, they did a good job of mixing this up. They made them quite difficult. I thought they were great.


Q. Was it difficult to do back to back seasons?
A. Tiffany: It was difficult. I can't say it wasn't. It was good in the beginning because I had momentum, but then you get tired. Plus, I lost my grandfather just two days before the show began. It's a lot going on and you're away from family, you're thinking about your restaurant ... there are a lot of other things that go into it.

Q. Did Carla leaving have any impact on your performances?
A. Tiffany: Don't get me wrong, I was not happy to see Carla go but I understand that it is a competition. It's what I signed up for. I think I went into the Quickfire with the attitude that I wasn't going go out without a fight. I had to step it up. I had to do something great. In the Elimination Challenge, they told us in the previous show to do something that reflected the island. I took that to heart and I think I really did a good dish. I enjoyed the dish. It just wasn't the temperature it should have been.

Q. Do you regret the cold ceviche?
A. Tiffany: I don't because that wasn't the problem. I just think that the soup should have been served tableside. It was pretty chilly outside. The winds began to blow right before I plated. Those were the issues. I should have waited. I think I got a little antsy. I should have planned it a little better.

Q. Which of the other chefs did you find most helpful to you during the competition?
A. Tiffany: The one I learned the most from was probably Richard Blais. He is full of information that he teaches. I remember one day, we were in the stew room and Carla was complimenting him for his fried food and he told her how he did it. He opens up and tells you information. He's very open.

Q. Who are you rooting for to win?
A. Tiffany: I'm rooting for Richard and Antonia. She does everything well. You haven't seen enough of her and she doesn't get enough credit. She's so consistent. She's just a really solid cook. She may not be as inventive as Richard, which a part of me likes. I like the idea that she's basic. Richard just comes up with so many different things. He can take one ingredient and find a hundred different things to do with it. That's the way his mind works. He's always trying to slow his mind down so he can focus on things. That's his battle. I really would like Richard or Antonia to win.

Q. What are you plans now that the competition is over?
A. Tiffany: I am building a restaurant in Dallas called Private Social. That's kind of my baby. And I'm working on a lot of other projects. I'm touring a little bit. I'm having a lot of fun just doing what I'm doing.


Top Chef: All Stars airs Wednesdays at 10/9c on Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment